Thursday 27 November 2008

Gigs and Markets: Oysterband Weekend

Last weekend, my mum visited and we went to the Oysterband 30th Anniversary gig at Birmingham Town Hall, which we'd been looking forward to since Big Session in June.

The German Christmas market was on in Victoria Square next to the Town Hall, so we went there before the gig for a bite to eat and a look round the stalls

Birmingham German Market Food Mosaic


There were many stalls selling all sorts of food and drinks, and I hope to go back a couple of times over the next month to try more of the treats on offer!

Birmingham German Market Lights Mosaic


As well as the markets, the Christmas lights were up, and the tree had been decorated, producing beautiful reflections in the Floozy's pool. The Town Hall looked very grand lit up at night.

German Market Fairground Market

I took lots of photos, and tried to capture some typical fairground shots of the lights blurring, and I think I did well with quite a few of them! We went on the carousel and I went down the helter skelter, which gave great views over the whole square. Mum bought a strawberry hat, and I tried on lots of the wonderfully daft hats available.

More German Christmas Market photos are here

After that, we went over to the Town Hall for the gig. I picked up a copy of their new CD and a tour t-shirt, and we got a good spot right at the front.

Edward II Mosaic



The support act were Edward II, who I'd not heard of. This was their 1st gig after a nine year break, and they were fantastic, playing a mix of Reggae & Folk, which really worked. The audience were all dancing and having a great time. More Edward II pics here

Then the main event. Oysterband opened the gig with 'Over The Water', and spent about 2 hours playing wonderful tracks, with an audience who were really enjoying it. At one point, John and Chopper got down and walked around the audience singing. I love Oysterband shows so much, as they enjoy playing, and it is always an amazing evening.

Oysterband Mosaic



They finished the show with 'Put Out The Lights' acoustic, like they did at Big Session. I was hoping to be able to record all of the song, as it is magical, but my memory card ran out part way through, so I can only share the first minute or so with you:



After the gig I got to chat to the guys in the foyer, and recommended Frank Turner to them for booking at Big Session 2009. They signed my CD and we talked about lots of things. More Oysterband pics here

Saturday dawned bright and early, but chilly, and Mum & I went to Moseley Farmers Market. I was hoping to pick up some Christmas gifts, but the stall I wanted to buy them from wasn't there, so instead we looked at lots of stalls on the Arts Market, and were there for the Bromsgrove Town Crier ringing the official market bell to announce that Moseley is the best UK Farmers Market for 2009:

Moseley Farmers Market (6)



I also got to take some nice photos of vegetables:

Moseley Farmers Market Vegetables



More Farmers Market pics here

St Marys Church was having a little Christmas fair, so I bought some bric a brac and breakfast (2 slices of toast with Marmite and a fairy cake!), before taking some photos of the church & churchyard.

St Mary's Church Mosaic



This weekend is far less exciting - haircut and making Christmas gifts.

No comments: