I'm having a bit of a catch up on things I've made but not blogged about.
I spent a lovely day at New Year while cat sitting for friends working on some embroideries using techniques I picked up in a workshop with Margaret Beal.
I used the same technique to do both the presents (for a Birmingham Embroiderers' Guild Christmas pennant) and the window piece, except that the window has stitched outlines.
The pieces are worked on a base of acrylic felt, with layers of polyester organza on top. The soldering iron is used to make marks into the layers, both freehand and along a metal ruler. With care, the top layer can also be removed, revealing the colours below, and allowing for further mark making.
The window had an outline square and free-machined lines inside, forming spaces to work within, rather like zentangling.
It was a lovely process, very easy to get 'flow'. The only thing to be aware of is the risk of burning from the soldering iron.