Sunday 29 April 2012

Mushroom, mushroom!

At the Fashion, Embroidery and Stitch show at the NEC in March 2012 I was fortunate to be able to go on a silk shading hand embroidery workshop with Katie Pirson, where we started this mushroom. I've now finished it, and taken photos of my process in finishing it as a hoopla too, for future reference.


It was really nice to be able to work on something with silk shading/long and short stitch, as it is a very useful stitch to have in my repertoire. Katie is a brilliant teacher; I agree with her that it should probably be called 'Long and even longer stitch'!


My finished mushrooms:


Silk Shaded Mushroom (26)


And here they are on my hoopla wall:


Silk Shaded Mushroom (24)


I finish my hoops with a layer of wadding behind the embroidery, which gives a really lovely raised appearance:


Silk Shaded Mushroom (17)


I also wrote up a tutorial for finishing hoopla hoops with a layer of wadding and a felt backing, like these, so that next time I don't have to try to remember what I did. it's in this Flickr slideshow, with directions in the captions:

No comments: